cheapregrets

Ben Linus' adventures in Wonderland

I love books. I'll read whatever thing I found close. So books, you have just been warned.

The Hunger Games (Hunger Games Series #1)

The Hunger Games  - Carolyn McCormick, Suzanne  Collins I tried. A lot of people recommended me this book since I liked Divergent but it was very difficult to finish it.The main idea was okay. The United States are now splitted into 12 districts and controlled by The Capitol. The districts waged war on the Capitol and were defeated. As part of the surrender terms, each district agreed to send a boy and a girl each year to be part in The Hunger Games. That means that each year, the boys and girls from the districts will have to fight to dead until only one of them if left. What I didn't like was the "fight against capitalism" analogy that it's meant to be presented in the book through the rebellious spirits of Katniss, Gale and Peeta. I didn't buy it. It seems forced, not genuine. Also, the story is told from Katniss' point of view and she is the most boring character ever written. She thinks that music is unnecessary! Well, some of you may argue that she lives on a poor area, she needs to hunt, to support her mother and sister... so she doesn't think music is important, that it's useless for her life. But I can't conceive that thought in my mind. Music make us free. It give us a moment to clear our minds, to disconnect ourselves from the world, to know that we are not alone...Anyway, what I despised the most was the romance in this book. It was dull and empty. I was liking the book so far, mainly because of the games and its violence, until Katniss teamed up with Peeta and a completely different story took up. I think that this could have been a lot better without those pointless bits of humdrum love.And what about those mutant werewolves at the end? Suzanne, that was not a great plan to finish off the games. I hate paranormal creatures being used to get a climax. I hate being introduced paranormal creatures when they are completly out of context.I know that someday I'll read Catching Fire, because I'm too curious but I'm not sure if this is the time to continue. Maybe I'm in bad mood. Maybe it was not the correct moment to read The Hunger Games.